A new method will be adopted by the Canadian government to process work permits for temporary international workers.
Canada is on the way to modify the temporary foreign worker programme (TFWP) application process for work permits. Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) stated a few things clearly in their proposal that will be of benefit to students. The revised policy will incorporate the following:
- It will quicken the process of reducing the workforce shortage in the country.
- Enhance customer service
- Decrease inventories
The policy that was first proposed in December 2022 would be applicable to foreign workers who are currently working and have applied for a work permit for a longer time. However, now everyone, whether they are applying from Canada or abroad, will follow the revised procedure.
The new procedure is likely to pull applications daily from a particular folder in the Global Case Management System (GCMS). To be eligible to work, one should keep in mind the following criteria:
- Must have received a work permit from their employer in the last five years.
- Should provide biometrics either before or with the new application.
- Must submit a full work permit application for a new employer-specific work permit.
- Continue with their prior work position and use their National Occupation Classification (NOC) code.
- Must satisfy all eligibility requirements throughout the screening process.
Any worker who is entering the country under the revised policy of TFWP will have a work permit. The close work permit will limit the employee’s ability to work for more than one employer.
The application will be processed in the following way:
- An officer will assess each application, and the applicant applying for a work permit
- The applicant’s background, language skills, licences, and training will be taken into consideration.
- The officer will look into the legitimacy of the offer letter from the employer.
These few steps taken by Canadian authorities will determine your permits.